In the past, we’ve been reviewing anti-snoring devices by collecting information from as many reviews as we can find. Why? Because we want you to find the right anti-snoring device among all the many types and brands you’ll find out there. In the process, we’ve formed some strong opinions: and then along comes VitalSleep and overturns them all!
Snoring doesn’t only rob you and your sleeping partner of much-needed sleep, it also starves your body of oxygen, placing your system under strain. Snoring is to a higher possibility of strokes, it’s important to do everything you can to reduce or end snoring. Could the VitalSleep anti-snoring mouthpiece be the solution you’ve been looking for?
The Background on Anti Snore Mouthpieces
More than half of the people who snore do so because the upper part of their throat becomes constricted when they sleep.
The tissues collapse inward, blocking the airway. The vibration that occurs as air travels during breathing produces the snore.
It’s a known fact that when the jaw moved forward the airways stay open. First aiders use this principle when treating unconscious patients. Anti-snore mouthpieces also use it. But is this an urban legend or is there scientific evidence in favor of such devices?
Anti-snoring mouthpieces are an accepted treatment for certain types of snoring and mild sleep apnea. Their efficacy has been confirmed in studies, and some dentists are able to make custom-made mouthguards for snorers. But, these are quite costly, and the search for a cheaper alternative has led to a great many mass-produced designs.
Why VitalSleep Changed Our Minds About Anti-Snore Mouthpieces
Up till now, we haven’t liked any of the anti-snore mouthpieces we found on the market much. These have ranged from the “one-size-fits-all get used to it” to the adjustable and customizable. Our big problem up till now has been the level of customization that has been available.
We examined mouthpieces that allow you to fit them to your individual teeth AND adjust the lower jaw setting, and we still weren’t happy with what we saw. The best one we could find came with reviews saying that the adjusting feature tended to break. Still, although we couldn’t recommend it, it was the most customizable mouthpiece we could find.
Then we found VitalSleep and had to concede that yes, it is possible to make a mouthpiece that people can customize at home.
How VitalSleep Beats Its Competitors Through Personalized Fit
When we found yet another stop snoring mouthpiece, we were inclined to say “Been there. Done that. We already know what’s going to be wrong with it.” To be exact, we were expecting to find that the main drawback would be discomfort owing to a poor fit. We were also less than pleased with the look of the design: there are so many bits and pieces to it! But closer inspection showed that we were onto something different, new, and exciting. Here’s why:
- Two sizes available: One problem with customizable mouthpieces was that you couldn’t be sure the device would be the right size for your mouth. The FDA-cleared VitalSleep offers a regular and small size with the regular size recommended for men and the small size for women.
- Boil and bite fitting: A poor fit could damage your teeth or force them out of alignment. Your dentist wouldn’t give you a mouthpiece without taking impressions of your teeth first. In this case, you make the imprint into the device yourself.
- Adjusting screws: Here’s where the VitalSleep beats all competitors hands down. The best we’ve seen so far is a mouthpiece with a couple of settings. Vital Sleep allows you to begin with a normal jaw position and then move your lower jaw forward until you hit the sweet spot where you stop snoring. Why is this such a good thing? Well, trying to force the jaw into a position it isn’t used to causes discomfort. By adopting a “bit-by-bit” change to your jaw position, you’ll miss out on a lot of that.
Next Huge Plus: VitalSleep Has a Massive Durability Guarantee
It’s standard for mouthpiece manufacturers to offer a money-back guarantee that you can claim within 30 to 90 days if the device doesn’t work for you. But that’s where it ends. If your device starts to disintegrate after the initial trial period, there’s nothing for it: you just have to buy another one.
We’re accustomed to thinking that a lifespan of under a year for a mouthpiece is the best you can expect. And we’ve read reviews where people say the device is coming apart or some of the features don’t work as they should within a few months or even a few weeks.
VitalSleep not only gives you a 60-night money back guarantee but but it also gives you 1 year of free replacements for any reason. This leads us to believe that you'll get over a year of use from your mouthpiece.
Consumer reviews bear this out. Several mentioned a lifespan of up to 18 months, and among those who didn’t mention this, there were no complaints about fragility or rapid signs of wear.
The Downside of VitalSleep
The best option isn’t always the easiest option: that applies to so many of the things we do. It also applies to VitalSleep.
First up, there’s the fitting process. You get the product with easy-to-follow instructions. Even if you’ve fitted a boil and bite device before, take care to follow the instructions for fitting this particular device.
Adjusting the screws allows you to get a personalized fit and make incremental adjustments until the snoring stops.
Using a toothbrush and toothpaste will do the job, and you can dunk it in denture cleaning solution to make extra sure you’ve gotten rid of any extra germs.
VitalSleep’s designers did their homework, found out what issues people experienced when using off-the-shelf mouthguards, and then produced one that eliminated these issues while adopting all the best-practice features.
A Quick Roundup of the Advantages of VitalSleep
- 60-night money-back guarantee
- 365-day unconditional product warranty that includes free replacements
- Two sizes available: Regular and small
- Boil and bite design to fit the device to your bite
- Slim and flexible (we might have been a little worried about that if it weren’t for the year’s replacement guarantee)
- Adjustable jaw position to help you find the right setting for your jaw and your snoring condition.
- Large opening allows for easy breathing
- Side-to-side and up and down movement for the jaw
- Transparent and unobtrusive-looking
- Made from latex, BPA-free materials and FDA approved materials
- Users report no chafing of the gums and less drooling than they experience with bulkier devices
- You can still use it if you have some missing teeth and wear a partial denture by day
The Disadvantages of VitalSleep
- It was quite difficult finding drawbacks that weren’t linked to the advantages we already identified. But even though we are impressed with this mouthguard and struggled to find negative VitalSleep reviews, we managed to dig up a few.
- It’s a mouthpiece. If that thought doesn’t appeal, you might want to try a special pillow or a CPAP-style chinstrap like My Snoring Solution first.
- There is a fitting process and you need to be alert when undertaking it.
- VitalSleep has crannies you will need to clean with a toothbrush
- It won’t work for everyone (this is true of any stop snoring solution)
- You can’t use VitalSleep if you have certain dental issues. Before you buy it, you get a questionnaire that helps you to see whether the device will be right for you.
- There are some corners that are a little difficult to clean.
- Even though there are two sizes available, you may find that neither one fits your mouth well. Yet, we would suppose that if this is the case, you have an mall mouth.
Having looked at countless anti-snore devices, we’re very impressed with VitalSleep. It is certainly the most customizable mouthpiece we have seen to date, and it also seems to be the most durable. The customization of this mouthpiece make it more comfortable and effective than anything else we’ve seen in this category of anti-snore devices.
Try it if you snore because of vibration in the upper part of your throat. If your snoring is nasal, it will not be effective. We would recommend that you consult your doctor to determine the cause of your snoring if you want to have a reasonable level of certainty about whether this device will be right for you. He or she will look for any abnormalities that may be constricting airflow. If everything checks out normal, there’s a very good chance that the VitalSleep mouth-guard will work for you.